Oh, our kitchen smelled so good last night! We had surplus vegetables to use up, so I baked chocolate zucchini bread while Eric rummaged around in the fridge for supper inspiration. Maybe I’ll share the bread recipe another day, but on this occasion you get the fruits vegetables of Eric’s labour.
The key is to simmer these vegetables for a good chunk of time–let the aromas mingle and the juices mix. Your kitchen will smell like the best Italian restaurant in Boston.
Sauteed Summer Vegetables with Fish
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 clove garlic
- olive oil
- sweet basil
- 2 white fish fillets such as flounder or tilapia
- 1/2 lb pasta macaroni, angel hair, any kind...
- Chop up the eggplant, tomato, zucchini, and garlic; put in skillet with a good amount of olive oil and a few splashes of sherry. Add herbs. Cover, and simmer all over medium-low to medium heat for about 30 minutes, adding more olive oil and sherry as the mixture cooks down.
- Cook pasta in a separate saucepan. While pasta cooks, add fish to skillet; smother fish with vegetables.Cover skillet and cook until fish is just done--fish should be opaque and flake easily when tested with a fork.
- Plate the pasta and pile with fish and vegetables. Serve with white wine.