Here’s a recipe for a cheesy pasta with sausage and fresh summer herbs. Make it in the wok to mix up a large batch; you’ll want seconds!
This is better than macaroni and cheese! Pack this flavourful, cheesy pasta with fresh herbs from your garden or the farmer’s market. We made this in the wok, which we’re finding is one of our very favourite kitchen tools. If you don’t have a wok, be sure to use a nice large pot. You want the pasta to have ample room to cook, and later you’ll want room to mix in the cream sauce without sloshing it onto the burner.
This dish is hearty, but very fresh-tasting with the herbs and tomatoes. We enjoyed it on a summer evening with a light Mexican beer. I had a piece of chocolate for dessert.
Cheesy Pasta with Sausage and Herbs
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- lots of fresh herbs such as basil oregano, thyme, and sage
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 lb bulk sausage
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated cheese your choice of variety. About 4 oz
- Cook the pasta in a wok. Drain pasta in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Rinse out wok. Put olive or coconut oil in wok; heat up.
- Finely chop the herbs and onions; add to wok. Add sausage and break into small clumps. Cook through.
- Stir tomatoes into the sausage mixture. Pour in heavy cream and let cook for a few minutes.
- Add pasta. Cover pasta in cream sauce; add more cream, if necessary, to coat pasta thoroughly. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- While pasta is heating, grate cheese. Add cheese gradually, stirring to let it melt. Serve!