These salmon patties are a nutritious, frugal real food supper that you can whip up in under 20 minutes! Serve on toasted buns as a hamburger alternative.
Hunger pangs set in earlier than usual yesterday afternoon, and Eric and I knew we needed to get supper on the table fast! I, for one, get a little grumpy when my blood sugar gets low. And since not complaining is number 2 on my list, supper was an all-the-more dire need.
I got some Jasmine rice started in our rice cooker, and whipped up one of the simplest, most nutritious, most customizable quick meals I know: salmon patties!
Salmon is one of the few canned goods we stock in our real food pantry. We buy our canned salmon from Aldi, and we love that it’s wild-caught Alaskan and contains all the skin and bones! (The bones are very soft, so you can eat them, no prob).
I dumped the salmon in a bowl, tore up some homemade bread, and stirred in other fresh and flavorful ingredients (like herbs from our herb garden), plus an egg to help hold it all together. As you’re making this recipe, you can stick to the ingredients below, or play with it! Try making these salmon patties with grated Parmesan cheese added, homemade mayonnaise, a dash of sriracha, or finely chopped onion.
Once fried, we ate our salmon patties with a little ketchup on the side. You could also serve them with condiments on toasted buns as salmon burgers!
Easy Salmon Patties
- 1 can wild-caught salmon drained
- 1 egg
- 2 slices homemade bread torn into large crumbs
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, dill, chives, parsley, etc.
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Real Salt
- coconut oil or peanut oil for frying
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly. Fill bottom of frying pan with about 1/2 inch of oil; heat over medium.
- While oil heats, shape salmon mixture into 6 circular patties, flattening on each side with your hands.
- Fry patties on each side until golden brown, adding more oil if necessary. Serve with buttered rice and steamed vegetables!