These filling, savory breakfast biscuits are baked with sausage and cheddar cheese, and seasoned with bell peppers, chili powder, and sage. Serve these easy sausage breakfast biscuits for brunch or a protein-rich snack. Delicious!
I love a good pastry any day of the week, but I’ve discovered that my body really needs protein in the morning to get me going! Fried eggs are my usual fare, often with a side of grits, an English muffin, or bacon or sausage on the weekend. In fact, if I can have some combination of protein and carbohydrates for breakfast, that’s pretty much a perfect combo!
These savory breakfast biscuits satisfy the craving for hot bread in the morning, but fill the need for protein. They’re packed with sausage and cheddar cheese, and seasoned with bell peppers, chili powder, and sage.
Serve them as the star of breakfast or brunch, along with some scrambled eggs and hot coffee. You can also make these ahead of time, freeze them, and then wrap them in foil and re-heat in the oven. Breakfast on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning, perhaps?
Regardless of when you choose to make them, be warned that if you have more than two people in your family, you’ll probably need at least a double batch. Eric and I ate the entire plate in the course of a day! Yes, they are utterly amazing. I’m not just boasting, I’m stating a fact. (But I’m boasting, too, because I love it when my recipes turn out!)
Loaded Breakfast Biscuits
These filling, savory breakfast biscuits are baked with sausage and cheddar cheese, and seasoned with bell peppers, chili powder, and sage. Serve them for breakfast, brunch or a protein-rich snack. Delicious!
- 2 cups unbleached flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1 red bell pepper chopped small
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 5 breakfast sausage links cooked and chopped (about 4 oz)
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 425. Butter a cookie sheet or baking stone and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, chili powder, sage, and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until the butter is the size of large crumbs.
- Put bell pepper, sausage, cheese, and 3/4 cup of the milk into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add additional milk until all of the flour is mixed in and the dough is moist.
- Drop biscuits by the heaping tablespoonful on the baking stone. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops of the biscuits are golden and beginning to crisp slightly.
Want more comfort food recipes? Come back all season long for a cornucopia of comforting dishes from the Richly Rooted test kitchen!